top of page

Home and Living

NDIS-Logo-Sydney Community Wellbeing - Official Provider.png

Home and Living

The NDIS can assist participants to live independently. Participants and their families can discuss their home and living goals as part of their planning conversation. A participant's plan will include the supports the NDIS will fund as well as the supports the participant will need to access through the housing system.

Most participants will continue to access housing in the private market by owning or renting, or through social housing.

NDIS participants are responsible for day-to-day living costs including rent, groceries, utilities, telephone or internet costs. This is the same for general household items such as a bed, fridge or cooking utensils. There are some limited circumstances where the NDIS may make a contribution to these costs.

NDIS home and living supports

There are different types of home and living supports that the NDIS can fund.

What supports are included

Supports funded by the NDIS, supports funded by housing and other systems and examples of participants who may require home and living support.

Supporting Evidence Form - Home and living

This form is to let the NDIA know you need home and living supports in your plan, because these supports cannot be met through mainstream, community, informal or other supports.

Assistance with daily life

Assistance with daily life is a support category in your core supports budget. It's for assistance or supervision of personal tasks during day-to-day life that enable the participant to live as independently as possible. These supports are provided individually to participants and can be provided in a range of environments, including your own home.

Home modifications

Home modifications (HM) are changes to the structure, layout or fittings of your home, so you can safely access it and move around comfortably. The NDIS can fund home modifications to make a participant's home accessible. The Scheme can also help participants live independently with supports such as personal care to help with showering or dressing, or assistance with preparing meals and cleaning.

Individualised living options

An individualised living option (ILO) is an NDIS support that lets you choose the home you live in and set up supports in the way that best suits you. An ILO is a package of supports that can help you live how you want in the home environment you have chosen.

Supported independent living

Supported independent living (SIL) is help or supervision with daily tasks in your home to help you live as independently as possible, while building your skills. It is the paid personal supports and is most commonly used in shared living arrangements. It includes things like having a person to help with personal care tasks, or cooking meals.

Short term accommodation

Short term accommodation, including respite, is funding for support and accommodation for a short time away from your usual home. It covers the cost of your care in another place for up to 14 days at a time. You might have a short stay with other people, or by yourself. It’s often funded when your usual carers aren’t available, or for you to try new things.

Medium term accommodation

Medium term accommodation gives you somewhere to live while you are waiting for a long term housing solution. We only fund it if you’re waiting for your disability related supports and have a confirmed long term housing solution. We usually fund Medium term accommodation for up to 90 days.

Assistive technology

Assistive technology (AT) is the equipment you might need to help you with everyday tasks. AT may be equipment or systems to support a person with a disability might use to reach their potential at home, in the community and the workplace.

Specialist disability accommodation

Specialist disability accommodation (SDA) is a range of housing designed for people with extreme functional impairment or very high needs. SDA homes are constructed to be more accessible for you. They enable better or safer delivery of other supports you may need. SDA usually involves a shared home with a small number of other people.

SDA Finder

The SDA Finder is an interactive tool to help you search for SDA vacancies that meet your needs. The SDA Finder is updated weekly with vacancies from across Australia. You can refine your search results by location, building type, SDA design category, number of residents, price and more.

Information for providers

Information for providers about home and living supports.

Living in and moving out of residential aged care

In September 2020, the Australian Government released the Younger People in Residential Aged Care Strategy 2020-2025. The Younger People in Residential Aged Care Strategy doesn’t mean you have to move out of residential aged care.

It is there to support you to learn more about the other home and living options available to you, and support you to make informed choices about where, and how you live.

This page current as of

3 June 2022

bottom of page